Back to Change History


This is an initial release to get feedback. Note carefully that many things may change. One that must be highlighted is how preferences are handled. I have not yet written the custom handler I plan, so I am using the default JVM preferences system. On Windows, this uses the registry and MAY WELL FAIL unless you have the correct registry keys set up. This is an issue with the JVM itself. As this will be resolved at a later stage and because it is not that simple a fix, I am not going to supply details. If you are happy to find out what is needed using your favourite search engine, then please feel free to go ahead.

I am particularly looking for feedback from non-Windows users. I have a Windows machine and a Linux machine, so really it is just Mac users I need to hear from.

This version of the program includes a feature to check online for new versions. Whilst noting the comment above, I do recommend turning on this preference.

Current status

The last few versions have been "wired up" - the user interface controls actually affect the data loaded. For the most part, this appears to be working safely but the program is likely to be more crash-prone than it had been.

I spent a lot of time trying to get internal data change updates tracking correctly. On Windows, I was seeing "loss of connection" problems when rapidly changing kits or rapidly resetting the editor. It took a while to realise this was only happening on Windows. So it may or may not still be happening - I'm considering it a Windows JVM bug rather than my problem ;).

The rest of the time since the last post -- and taking advantage of the internal fiddling around I did whilst trying to "fix" a non-existent bug -- was to wire up the rest of the controls on the UI. Some of the existing "wiring" has been rewritten, too. Given the amount of change and that I've yet to spend a lot of time actually using it, I wouldn't surprised if there are bugs, but I like to get a release out as soon as I can. If it works, it's there! :)

Next I'm going to get the Global tab written -- I'm hoping it won't take long now. After that, some more serious testing.